The Susquehannock Trail System, also known as the STS, was conceived as a hiking trail in 1966 from an original idea by the late William D. Fish, Jr., the then publisher of the weekly newspaper, “Potter Enterprise” (now “Potter Leader-Enterprise”). This idea quickly grew among local businessmen and women, and was supported by Potter County Recreation, Inc., the county’s former tourist promotion agency.
The STS and STC were named after the Susquehannock State Forest through which the trail system passes. This title came from the Susquehannock Indian Tribe who claimed most of the land in this region during the late 1500’s and early 1600’s.
A committee was formed and on February 9, 1967, local hiking enthusiasts held a planning meeting to form the Susquehannock Trail Club (STC) to perform the actual work of laying out, marking and completing the physical improvements of the trail system.
The STS is a link-up of old fire trails, abandoned railroad grades, dirt logging roads and pipeline clearings. The old fire trails, constructed by President Franklin Roosevelt’s Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930’s, make up 85% of the trail system.
The 84-mile loop trail was built for foot travel only and is marked with 2” x 6” rectangular orange blazes. The STS passes near Lyman Run and Cherry Springs State Parks, through Ole Bull and Patterson State Parks, and through the small village of Cross Fork.
On October 18, 1967, the Susquehannock Trail Club Constitution was approved unanimously by members with 19 ballots cast. There were 37 Charter Members. This club membership has grown to nearly 300 today.
On March 2, 1969, the STC was accepted as the 26thclub member in the Keystone Trails Association.